Whether you’re building a new home or purchasing an existing one, the layout of your house is one of the most critical choices that you will make. Not to mention the decisions about which neighbourhood and your budget for the price of your home. If you don't consider all the important elements of choosing the right floor plan, you could be a risk of unpractical and/or unhappy living.
Stephen Thompson, managing director of Allworth Homes said, “Make sure you consider all options carefully, the floor plan is paramount to the traffic and flow of the house. Particularly when viewing display homes – don’t be fooled by the sizzle, it’s the steak you’re after. Don’t get drawn in by the over the top visual aesthetics and styling in the display homes, get the sales consultant to personally walk you through what you should expect. Most home builders will have variations of the same design that could suit you better.
"With display homes, you really have to picture yourself living in it. Spend some time in each home to get a feel for all the spaces. Consider the furniture that you already have or the particular style you had in mind. As yourself, will this home deliver on all my needs?"
Allworth Homes provides these guidelines to choose the perfect floor plan
- Ensure you’ll have room to grow. One size does not fit all. Your first consideration when you are selecting a house plan should be size. You don’t want to run the risk of over or underbuilding your home. If you’re a growing family you’ll need to make sure there will be enough space. Think about how many bedrooms and living areas you’ll need. You might want to also think about a large dining area. Even if adding that extra room squeezes the budget a bit, it will be worth it in the long run as you won’t have to invest in an extension – or even move house.
- Consider your lifestyle needs. Do you like to entertain? Then you might like to consider an open plan living and dining area, or perhaps an alfresco dining area out the back. Do you like to cook? Then the layout of your kitchen will be really important to you. Or maybe you have a lot of tools etc. that you need storage for? Then you
- Make sure you have a mix of open and private spaces. Establish the amount of privacy you would like in your home. Most new home owners prefer home plans with more privacy in the master bedroom and with large open plan living spaces, others might need privacy in a home office space or a kid’s activity room away from the main sections of the house. Also consider the placement of windows and if you have enough privacy from your neighbours.
- Ensure you have a practical design for traffic flow. This means checking that hallways do not have tight and sharp turns. Another thing to look for is wide doorways and open rooms so that moving around the house and between furniture is easy.
- Size of your block. Is it big enough? The size of your lot will play a huge part in the size and functionality of your home. If you're looking to build a large 4-5 bedroom single story, you will need to purchase some property that is large enough to fit the home on. Depending on your lifestyle and the size of your property, you may want to consider floor plans that open up to the lot at multiple access points, and that incorporate a large alfresco for outdoor entertaining.
Stephen Thompson said, “These tips might all seem like common sense but you’d be surprised at how many people get it wrong. Choosing the right floor plan is only the beginning, once you have that in perfect ‘shape’, then you can turn your new house into a home with all your personal styling touch.”
About Allworth Homes
Allworth Homes specialises in residential project home building. Allworth Homes builds for customers in NSW looking to build in new development areas or to knock-down an existing home and re-build on their land. There are a variety of single and double storey designs customers can choose from catering for a number of different sized blocks of land. Established in 1978 and recognised as one of the most efficient builders in the state, Allworth prides itself on a reputation built on superior quality workmanship, materials and customer service.